|Information for 37-41 Class|
|Builder:||United Electric Car Company|
Although the trams were built by a variety of manufacturers they all shared the "Bellamy roof" style established in Liverpool (named after the manager who introduced it) . The style had an enclosed roof but with open balconies. The last batch of trams built by Brush in 1920 still retained this style even though it was rather old fashioned by then. The original plan was for the trams to have the roofs fitted so they could be easily removed and the trams could be converted from open to closed and back in minutes. However after serious water leaks in bad weather it was decided to make the roof permanent.
The tram network didn't last long. Closures began in 1929 and the network was completely shut down in 1933. One tram, Number 78, has survived into preservation. This Brush built tram was the last one built and spent fifty years serving as a store in a farmyard in North Wales before being handed over to a preservation society in 1978 and now runs as part of the Wirral Tramway.
|Three views of Wallasey 78 at Wirral Transport Museum|
|Wallasey trams wore this lime green and cream livery|
|The open balcony can be seen here|
|The roof and balcony can be seen here|