On some tram networks such as in Birmingham and Manchester there was a substantial business in freight sometimes employing purpose built vehicles. Parcels was the most typical load  though sometimes other goods too. No. 717, built for the Blackpool Corporation, was used for hauling coal trains along tram company tracks.
|717 at Crich Tramway Museum|
|Motor:||2 Dick Kerr DK30 traction motors (550v DC OHLE)|
|Power:||100 hp (75 kW)|
717 was a small steeple cab electric locomotive similar to hundreds built by English Electric for industrial users like the Type 3B. It was built to haul coal wagons from an LMS siding at Fleetwood next to a tram depot at Copse Road and taken to sidings at Thornton Gate four kilometres for distribution to coal merchants.
717 was fitted with a tram style trolley pole. Originally it had heavy rail style buffers but in 1949 it was reassigned to become a works shunter and departmental vehicle and had a tram coupler fitted. It remained in service until 1963 and has been in preservation since 1966. It is used by Crich Tramway Museum for shuntering and departmental duties.
|Front view of 717|
|717 lurks in the tram sheds|
|717's trolley pole can be seen clearly here|
 R.W. Rush, British Electric Tramcar Design (Oxford Publishing, 1976) p. 121