|Builder:||Falcon Engine & Car Works|
|Motor:||Elwell & Parker electric motor (200v)|
|Power:||15 hp (11 kW)|
The problem for engineers was how to run multiple motors in series at the same time. The solution was to divide the conductor into segments (in the Northfleet case about six and half metres long ) and for the tram to close the circuit as required as it passes over the segments. The Northfleet system used a buried conductor underneath one of the running rails with a slot for an "arrow" which opened the circuit at successive points by opening two "spring jacks". A dynamo on board the tram was used to maintain a steady supply to the motor which otherwise would have been subject to the circuit being opened and closed by other tramcars.
The tramway, which replaced an existing horse drawn tram, was narrow gauge (1067mm). This required special motors to be built for it. The Northfleet tram apparently worked well though was no more than an experiment, though a bold one which attracted a good deal of interest from engineers.
By the end of 1890 the tram had returned to living breathing horse power, though a more conventional electric tram system was started in 1901.
|Northfleet tram |
|Front of tram and detail of the motor, the narrowness of the motor can be seen |
|Cross section of rail and conductor |
 "The Northfleet Series Electric Tramway", Nature (May 9 1889) p. 39
 Robert J Harley, North Kent Tramways (Middleton Press, 1994) Fig. 60
 "The Northfleet Series Electric Tramway - Dynamo and Cars", The Engineer (March 15 1889) p. 219